Thursday, May 29, 2014

879 Steps


This is the Duomo.  It's an insanely huge cathedral located in the heart of Florence - and conveniently right down the street from our hostel!  The nice thing about living right next door to the largest building in Florence is that if I ever got lost, all I have to do is get to a high place and look around.  It's kind of hard to miss...


We decided to climb to the top of the dome, which you get to by climbing stairs.  A lot of stairs.  458 of them to be exact (I counted).



(I took this picture of a window on the way up, because it was too dark to take a picture of anything else.)

We twisted and turned up this giant spiral staircase that I thought would never end.  When we finally emerged into the rooftop we were breathless -- for multiple reasons...







It was quite exhilarating being 458 steps into the air. 


The way back down reminded me of a room that you might find in Willy Wonka's factory.  At one point I wasn't sure if we walking forward or upside down...


(People put coins and locks in the strangest of places here.  It's like every nook and cranny is a wishing well.)

Our next adventure of the day was to climb the bell tower (which, if you look at the pictures above, is right next to the Duomo).  

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN. (That's my intimidating sound.)


Street view from the second floor.  



Street view from the third floor. 


Creeping on the Duomo through a tiny hole in the staircase. 


Fourth floor view.  

  
Aaaaaand at the tippy top...




(That's where we were earlier at the top of the dome, 37 steps higher.)


I was definitely beat after those back to back climbing excursions, but man, did my calves feel fantastic.  

Tomorrow is our last day at the Firenze d'Arti.  We're almost done with our letterpress posters!!! I will post pictures of the finished product soon.  It will also be our last night in Florence (HOW??).  We're celebrating with a fancy wine and cheese tasting party.  We've just become very cultured since arriving in Italy...

Buono notte, friends!




1 comment:

  1. And you did it all while wearing tasteful sandals and a summer dress. Skillz. :)

    ReplyDelete