Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Paris: The First 48

I love traveling with my mom.  Maybe cause she's super great.  Or that I don't have to make decisions by myself.  Or the fact that I don't have to pay for anything.  Either way, I love it. 

By the time we made it into Paris yesterday it was already 2 o'clock in the afternoon and we went straight to our lodging to drop off our luggage.  We are staying at my mom's friend Sophie's apartment (which is the most cozy, knick-knack cluttered place I have ever seen).  









After we finished drooling over the decor and the entryway patio garden, we went for a stroll around the neighborhood.  We walked to Sacre-Couer, which is a church that occupies the highest point in Paris.  We then found a place to eat (as we were quite ravenous) and sat outside and people watched for hours.  After finishing our after-dinner cappuccino we walked to the opera house and then visited my mom's old hood where she lived 25 years ago.





For those if you who don't know, my mom is super cool and has lived in a multitude of cool places during her lifetime, Paris included.  She took me to her old apartment, just thinking we'd peek at it from the outside.  As we stood on the opposite side of the street loitering, a man came out of the building and, after explaining what we were doing there (in French, because she's cool) he let us inside.   



She was adorable.  She jumped like a little schoolgirl when we stepped inside the entryway and beamed all the way up to the sixth floor where her old apartment was (she even teared up a little...sorry, Mom).   It was wonderful to share that experience with her, and a perfect way to conclude our first day in the City of Lights.  (I apologize for the crummy pictures.  There was horrible lighting in mother's old apartment building...)  





So here we are at Day 2.  A very rainy and chilly Day 2.  We had plans to go to the Musee d'Orsay, but once we got there we discovered that that had been everyone else's plans, too.  Not wanting to spend the whole afternoon waiting in line, we walked.  And walked.  We walked through le Jardin Tuilleries and down the entire length of the Champs d'Elysees and said hi to the Arc de Triumph.  After grabbing lunch we walked through the university town and ended up at the Notre Dame.  The rain only picked up as we went along, but it was fun.  







I spy a wild mom…







My soggy sandals.  





Says Faith, and I quote:
"Let's take a selfie of ourselves!"
End quote.  



Funny Faith Quote #2:
"Ooo, I like how my legs look, there.  I like my walking legs better than my standing legs."

(You do look great, Mom.  So hip.)



(I spy a man camouflaged into his storefront.)



We wrapped up our day (LITERALLY...ha...) by stopping at the Boulanger (bakery) and picking up a loaf of delicious, freshly made baguette.  We're already becoming quite adapted to the lifestyle, here.  

My mom is prodding me to finish writing so she can read what I wrote.  I guess I have deadlines now.  

Au revoir!



2 comments:

  1. I love this and look forward to following your adventures! Love, love, love the apartment and garden. And the photos of Paris bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy that you two are having this experience. I miss my sweetheart very, very much. I am lonely without her.

    ReplyDelete