Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cornuda, My Love

Hello, friends!  

So many things...first of all, my group's letterpress poster is finished!!!  I super dooper love how it turned out.  Our three main elements are a Vespa, a pigeon, and poppies.  We also incorporated text, of course.  The words in the poppies are all descriptive words of what Italy has meant to us (in Italian, of course).  And the pigeon's name is Alfredo Linguini Fetticini...in case you were wondering...




We are now in Cornuda, which is about a two hour train ride north from Florence.  Don't touch the window with your bottle. Just don't do it.  


We are now in this quiet mountain town that I am convinced is one of the most beautiful places in the world.  It's SO refreshing to be away from the crowds of tourists and bustling cities.  When we walk around all the locals stare at us because they know we're not from here, as hard as we try to blend in.  They probably think we got off of at the wrong stop.  

We are staying at the cutest B&B, which is tucked between picturesque mountains and a plethora of vineyards.  It's literally everything you would picture Italy to be and more.  As soon as I caught my breath after making the hike up the steady incline from the train station, I wandered around for a good while, awe-struck by the scenery.  It's really that gorgeous.  But you kind of have to see it to believe it.  
















(Cause you know I love taking pictures of my feet.)



The kind man who owns the B&B ran to get us lunch as soon as we arrived, because everything was closed (being a late Saturday afternoon).  We had the most delicious meats and cheeses (what I've found to be the most simple of meals, but the most satisfying).  After laying about the garden sunbathing for a good hour, a group of us walked down the hill to explore Cornuda.  There wasn't much going on.  Not much at all...in fact, we saw more dogs than people.  But it was so peaceful; like a steady exhale of breath.  I didn't take pictures of the houses (cause I thought that was kind of creepy) but I was drooling over the rose gardens and ivy-laced fences.  






And we made a friend!!!



I wanted to scoop him up and take him home with me.  I need something furry in my life.  

We found ourselves in this Italian cemetery.  It was fascinating and beautiful.  Each person had their own plot of land, and a small garden was kept in front of their headstone.  They also had pictures of the deceased, which was really cool.  It's like they really wanted to keep memories of their loved ones alive.  





We are currently working at Tipoteca, a typography studio, to assemble a book to commerate our trip.  I wish we were going to be here for longer...we leave on Thursday, which is too soon for me.  I am already in love with this mountain town.  

Bouno notte, Cornuda.

1 comment: