Monday, June 9, 2014

My Last Adventure Day in Venezia

What happened Saturday night is probably on my top ten list of the most horrible of mistakes I've ever made.  So I'm at the airport.  It's 10pm.  I'm waiting in front of the baggage check in area.  My flight isn't until 6:50am, so I had a while to wait.  But I'm worried...the Lufthansa check in area isn't even open, and I hadn't received the usual 24 hour check in notice from Kayak (which I somehow hadn't realized until just then).   All of a sudden, I'm in a panic.  So I did what any independent adult would do and I called my mom...who kindly reminded me that my flight wasn't until Monday morning...Whoops.  Thankfully the buses were still running and I had just enough euros to buy a ticket to get me back to the hotel I stayed at Friday night.  It's all fine and dandy now, but I was an absolute wreck.  It's moments like those I am reminded that even self-sufficient world travelers need their moms sometimes.  

So I had one more day in Venice.  I decided to go to Torcello, another island off of Venice.  It's mainly abandoned for the most part, but there are a few residential houses and a handful of restaurants that attract tourists.  The main sight to see, however, is a basilica church dedicated to Saint Maria Assunta.  Unfortunately you weren't allowed to take pictures on the inside (and unlike most people, I tend to obey that restriction) but you can just google it.  It's pretty awesome.
















Aaaaaand that was pretty much it.  Torrcello was small and was a nice escape from the crowds.  After my successful journey was complete, I only had a few more things on my to do list before picking up my bags from the hotel and making the trip to the airport for the second time.  (Alright, they're all food related...)

1.  Eat a kebab (not very Italian, but delicious)
2.  Drink some lemon ice tea (also not Italian, but dang is it refreshing)
2.  Eat nocciolla gelato (otherwise known as hazelnut, my discovered favorite flavor)

It's safe to say I checked all those things off my list before bidding Venezia a final 'arrevederci.'  

I am now on my way to Paris to meet my mother.  She is so excited to celebrate both her big 50th, and 25 years since living there (my mom is such a cool, cultured person).  I'm sad to be saying goodbye to Italy, but ever so excited to say bonjour to France.  

Au revoir, mes amis!  (;


No comments:

Post a Comment