Monday, May 12, 2014

The Indoor Herb Garden



I <3 indoor herb gardens. They are beautiful and wonderful and they make the indoors seem so less...indoors.  It has been on my to do list to make my own for quite some time now, and I'm proud to say I finally did it.  So without any further ado, here is a quick tutorial on how I made my own version of the herb garden a la indoors.

Step 1: Gather your materials
  

The materials you need for this project are:

white paint (any kind will do)
paint brush
small terracotta pot and tray
wooden tags (I found an assortment of these at Hobby Lobby)
chalkboard paint
& the outdoors so you don't die from paint inhalation

Step 2: Paint that pot


Pretty self explanatory business.

I improvised a bit and decided to add a bit of color to my creation.  I had this pink-ish/orange-ish hue laying around and painted the inside of the pot.  This color makes me think spring.


Step 3: Paint those tags
I chose to do a variety.  I don't necessarily recommend spray chalk paint, as it takes quite a few coats to create an adequate surface for chalk.  But it's quick and it's easy! 


This is where I changed course a bit.  Originally I was planning on writing on my tags with chalk (as they are tiny chalkboards) but I was running into difficulties.  So I decided just to paint my labels on, as it would be more durable. 



Then it was time to break out my glue gun...


Pot my plants...


And voila!




There you have it.  The easiest Saturday project to welcome Spring into your home.  They also make a pretty prime gift.  You can break out of the terracotta box and get creative with what you plant your herbs in.  Maybe some old tea tins or different coffee mugs.  Upscyled is the best kind of cycle.

P.s.  I know I'm kind of late jumping onto the bandwagon (per the norm) but I just discovered Pinterest and it is fantastic.  Goodbye, productivity.




3 comments:

  1. I love this post. I have an outdoor herb garden and love it. Your pot project is a great idea too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete