Saturday, May 24, 2014

Celebrate Good Times: Verona Style

Today we went to an old printing press in Verona owned by this sweet lady named Rosanna Conte.  The printing press was established in 1750, and was bought by Rosanna's grandfather in 1933.  We learned about the Linotype process (a method of printing). I've read about it before, but it was so amazing seeing it firsthand.  Such an incredible place.  And Rosanna was hilarious.

We also had the pleasure of meeting Carla, Rosanna's mother.  She is a master printmaker and was such an inspiration to me.  We even saw the world's smallest book (which was about the size of my pinky nail)!  And of course there was Rosanna's gecko guarding the front door (Rosanna called him her "jecko"). 




















We then climbed this giant hill (approximately one million stairs, I'd guess) in order to get a view of the entire city of Verona.  We were not disappointed.  I took a touristy picture of myself and we spyed on rooftop gardens.    The last item on our agenda was to make an appearance at a festival that was going on downtown:  cool chalk art included.    






[Foot selfie!]




At the festival there was delicious food, music, and dancing.  The band sang popular hits such as "Celebration" and "We Are Family".  I wasn't into the whole dancing thing at first, but then I got myself some almond gelato (which my current favorite of all the gelatos I've had thus far) and all of a sudden dancing was more fun.  

A life lesson was learned:  Other people need alcohol to lower their inhibitions.  I just need ice cream.  


*DISCLAIMER:  I hereby ask for pardon for any spelling errors, horrible pictures, or  any other error in my writing.  I am typing this all on my phone, and it's not the most ideal situation.  Thank you for your understanding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment