Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Venetian Life: Day Two

Today three of my roommates and I ventured off Venetian soil to visit two neighboring islands, Morano and Borano.  On our way to the boats we strolled through Saint Marc's Square and saw what it looked like in the daytime. 



Still impressive.  

And another riveting game of "I Spy the Wiener Dog" ensued. 


We then hopped on the vaporetto and strapped in for the brisk 20 minute boat ride to the first island, Morano.  


Morano is a quiet island know for its trade in extravagant blown glass.  As soon as we stepped off the boat we were invited into a studio to watch a glass blowing demonstration.


My lovely mother once got me a Groupon to take a glass blowing class, and it was hard, (I mean, it's blowing glass...)  I made a glass ball.  This guy made a horse...Mad respect.  

We then spent the rest of the afternoon walking around the peaceful town, undisturbed by crowds of inconsiderate tourists, spying in gardens, and enjoying the Italian springtime.  For lunch I had the best (the only) caprese salad of my life.  You just can't beat the Italian mozzarella.  







We then took yet another 20 minute boat ride to the second island, Borano.  This island happens to be know for it's lace (Italy is just super fancy).  It.  Was.  The.  Cutest.  EVER.  So many colors and gardens and tiny sailboats.  My heart almost exploded with joy.  Pictures just can't capture it.






Plus I found a wiener dog to pet.  Such a good day...

We returned to the main (is)land where we went grocery shopping and made dinner.  We accidentally got salsa instead of pasta sauce, but it was delicious.  I think we may have stumbled upon something.

I also got burnt today.  So burnt.  I resemble one of the tomatoes in my caprese salad.  But hopefully it will turn into a tan soon and I can stop looking ridiculous.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment