Monday, April 21, 2014

Hometown Heart


So this past week I did a speech in my public speaking class (a speech in public speaking class...waaaah?) on my hometown on Grand Haven.  Now I only spent the first eight years of my life there, but it's somewhere I've always considered to be my hometown at heart.  Anyways, when digging out memories and rummaging through old pictures, I got a little homesick.  So I thought I'd share a little bit about why I love this place so much.






 
 
This is where it all began:  12827 120th Ave (I still remember the address because of a jingle we made up in kindergarten when we had to memorize our address and phone number...which was 847-1528 in case you were wondering).  Please note the presence of garland, though it is clearly Spring...my family has always struggled to take down our Christmas decorations in a timely manner.  And you can't really see the whole house, as it was built into a hill.  I promise you we weren't all sharing one mattress in the middle of the living room.

We lived out in the middle of nowhere, but I loved it that that way.  We had a huge pond where we would swim in the summertime.  Raspberry bushes and apple trees were scattered throughout our yard.  Our next door neighbor was an abandoned Christmas tree farm (which I wouldn't mind having again after finding out how expensive Christmas trees are). 

Anyways, I loved our little log cabin.

What most people love about Grand Haven would of course be the beaches.




 
Ah, the beaches.  We would sometimes escape from our wilderness of solitude and come here (only after I said goodbye to my best friend...who was a tree...) We would often spend the whole day swimming/trying not to get sucked into the under toe and would end up here at the end of the day.




 
Dairy Treat.  The love of my childhood heart.  It was also conveniently located right next to my dentist.
 
So that's my random little post about the place I grew up.
Where do you consider your hometown at heart?
 
Happy reminiscing,








No comments:

Post a Comment