Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The [un]Familiar

Familiar surroundings are often overlooked, especially the places we call home.  We pass through familiar rooms every day, but are rarely aware, I mean really aware of the everyday objects that exist around us.
 
I like to think of my apartment as a cozy little nest where I hoard all my treasures and trinkets -- things I've collected and salvaged and rescued from roadside trash pick ups.  (Yes I am one of those people who sees something shiny in the dumpster and doesn't think twice about retrieving it no matter who may be watching.)
 
Anyways, as time goes by we become desensitized to our environments.  But the longer you stare at something - or say something - it becomes less familiar, more exotic, and more exciting.  It's like when you say a word over and over again (I always think of the word 'grape'...grape...grape......grape..........)  I start questioning myself if 'grape' was ever a part of the English language in the first place.  In this same way we can desensitize ourselves to our common spaces and become reacquainted with the unfamiliar. 
 
Below is my own "desensitizing" project with my own teeny tiny apartment. 
 
 W E L C O M E.    













 

 "It is the function of art to renew our perception.   What we are familiar with we cease to see.  The writer  shakes up the  familiar scene, and, as if by magic, we  see  a new meaning in it."  
 
 Anais Nin  
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment